Disease Control & Prevention
Disease Control strives to reduce the incidence of disease morbidity and mortality in Pima County. This is accomplished through the efforts of the following sections:
back to top
This section assists in identifying community health problems, compiling the Pima County Health Status Report, and developing appropriate intervention programs and strategies. The major components of epidemiological activity in Disease Control are:
Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD) and HIV
The goal of these programs is to provide services and resources to prevent the transmission of sexually transmitted diseases including HIV. By providing counseling and testing, partner counseling and referral services, education, and clinical services for the diagnosis and treatment of sexually transmitted disease, the STD/HIV Program staff members serve both the individual and the community.
Please be aware that waiting time for services will vary depending on the number of clients present. The STD screening fee is $40 including an HIV test. The HIV test fee alone is $20. The clinic is located at 332 S. Freeway (on the southbound frontage road of I-10) in Tucson. For more information or questions, clinic staff members can be reached by phone from 8:00am to 5:00pm Monday through Friday at (520) 624-8272.
The STD/HIV clinic is now on Twitter.com. Visit twitter.com/pchdsexhealth
for current events and news updates.
back to top
Theresa Lee Clinic
332 S. Freeway (southbound frontage road I-10)
Tucson, AZ 85745
Phone: (520) 791-7676
Phone Hours: 8:00am to 5:00 pm
Theresa Lee Clinic Hours
(Have symptoms, need follow-up treatment, or need to see a clinician? Visit our clinic)
8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Clinic Times: Monday - Friday
8:00 pm – 4:00 pm
Visit the STD/HIV Clinic On:
Walk-in EXPRESS Visits Available
(Need screening? Visit our Express clinics)
Monday - Friday
8:00am - 5:00pm
Clinic Fees (Confidential Service)
- Clinic/Express visit $40 (includes HIV/STD testing)
- HIV Test $20
STD/HIV clinic's calendar
Well Woman HealthCheck Program
back to top
The Well Woman HealthCheck Program (WWHC) is a free breast and cervical cancer screening and diagnostic program for uninsured or underinsured women.
Once clients meet eligibility requirements they may receive the following services:
- Clinical breast exams
- Pelvic exams
- Pap smears
- HPV testing
- Colposcopy (to screen for cancer)
- Other diagnostic services as recommended
Call (520) 628-3591 for more information
Vaccine Preventable Disease (VPDs)
back to top
This section focuses on prevention through immunizations, investigations, and the implementation of disease control measures for vaccine preventable disease (VPDs). The major components of immunization activity in support of Disease Control are:
- Monitoring progress towards the Year 2000 Goal of immunizing 90 percent of two-year old children in Pima County.
- Child Care and school immunization assessments.
- Provider base clinic record assessments.
- Ordering, distributing and monitoring the public funded vaccine for Department clinics and community sites.
- Provide information on immunization schedules, administration techniques and vaccine management.
- Investigation of reported VPDs to confirm the problem case, determine the areas of risk, and implement appropriate control measures.
- Collaborate with the Southern Arizona Immunization Committee.
- Establish new mother education programs in Pima County hospitals.
- Maintain the HBgAg positive, perinatal Hepatitis B program.
Tuberculosis (TB) Program
The Philosophy of the TB Control Program is to provide the most current and effective treatment for TB to the people of Pima County.
The Purpose of TB Control is to:
Our Program and what we offer:
- Identify and treat individuals with active TB Disease.
- Identify contacts to active cases, test and treat if appropriate.
- Identify high-risk populations and screen for TB Infection and/or disease.
- Pima County Health Department TB Control operates a clinic four days a week staffed by Public Health Nurses and a Clinician with expertise in the management of TB disease and TB Infection.
- Medication is delivered through Direct Observation Therapy by trained Outreach Workers.
- Treatment of TB is without cost to the individual.
- Each individual has a Nurse Case Manager which oversees his/her treatment and provides support through the treatment process.
- Consultation is available for Physicians and Health Care Agencies on all aspects of TB therapy.
- Tuberculosis (TB) Fact Sheets
Skin testing also available at the Public Health Nursing Offices
back to top
Tuberculosis Control Clinic (New Location)
2980 E. Ajo Way
Tucson, AZ 85713
Monday, Wednesday, Friday 7:30am – 12:00pm
Tuesday 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Closed on Thursday
Please check schedule for TB readings. Plus additional clinics offering TB testing - Download schedule
Phone: (520) 243-8450
Fax: (520) 243-8465
Fee for Services
- TB Skin Test $15
- Chest X-RAY $63
- Clearance Card (for clients with documented positive TB skin test)
- Client has chest x-ray on file at TB Clinic - $22
- Client brings outside chest x-ray to TB Clinic - $40
Skin Testing: Walk-in basis during clinic hours
X-rays or consultation: Appointment only
Referring Agencies - Clinic Services Billing Form
Supplemental Materials & Downloads